Friday, October 4, 2013

Kenmare Lace Festival



I'm off on another mini road trip. This time to the lovely town of Kenmare in South Kerry, where the first Kenmare Lace Festival is being held.

Unfortunately I can only visit for one night, but I'll be attending the 'Lace, Leather and Pearls' Fashion Show and in the morning I'll be doing a workshop in bobbin lace.


 I've become a bit obsessed with learning bobbin lace since my trip to Italy last March, so this is the perfect opportunity to learn and practice among fellow lace lovers. Last year, I bought a few bobbins in a local auction. Not enough to make anything major, but enough to learn by.

I'm  looking forward to seeing the International Lace Exhibition in the Carnegie Arts Centre. Also, the entries to the Lace Competition, especially the contemporary section, of which I entered a piece. I have managed to mislay my memory card with pics of my piece, so cant show you! But when I get it back I'll take some pics.

For any of my readers who don't know Kerry (my county!), it is one of the most mountainous regions in Ireland, with 2 of the 3 of the highest mountains. So, on a map, Kenmare doesn't look too far away from me but we are separated by the Macgillycuddy Reeks, a spectacular mountain range, holding our highest mountain, Carrauntoohil. It is the most beautiful drive from Dingle, through Killarney National Park, Molls Gap, to Kenmare. I am as much looking forward to the drive as to the destination!

I expect to be filled with chat, tea and lace loveliness!

(Check out my Lace Inspired board on Pinterest, and you will see just how lace obsessed I've become! Hopefully I'll have a few pics to add in after the weekend.)

No comments: