Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Colours and Patterns and Tools....oh my!!

Frozen Canal

I'm back from my holidays earlier than expected. Although my hols was shorter than planned, it felt like longer....Long saga about frozen treacherous roads, frozen water pipes, no working toilets/showers, empty water reservoirs, cabin fever, tummy bugs, etc... There was a break in the weather, and I made a run for it. I am glad to be home, be clean, and have another Christmas over with. Well, I'm actually glad to have 2009 over with it was a very extreme year for me. Not just for me but for the country of Ireland in general. We've had all the weather and scandals a nation can handle in one year. But, this isn't a moany blog, its a textile blog, so here's some Colour and Patterns and Tools...Oh My!! (I had to watch the Wizard of Oz at 9 am this morning...)


COLOURS

The best part of Christmas is of course Fairy lights. I love fairy lights, so much so I went a bit bananas one evening with the camera, trying to take a nice photo of my lights. Here's the results....


PATTERNS


When you go on your holidays, normally you wait till you're on the road before taking pictures. But when I went to pack the car, there was the most amazing patterns over the whole thing. I had to pull the camera out and start taking pictures.




and TOOLS....OH MY!


This is really the oh my bit. You might have thought I was jammy enough to buy one beautiful working spinning wheel for cheap. (And she is a real beauty, you can see here here). but how about buying a 2nd spinning wheel, another real beauty, and almost in working condition!! I found this baby on gumtree.ie. The ad was a few months old, and I presumed it would be gone, but rang anyway. To my great surprise, not only was the wheel not gone, but no-one else had even called about it. It took me a few months to get down and actually see it, as I had to drive to Cork, but I had decided to buy it whether it work or not. It is a.. oh..beautiful old, old, Saxony wheel. Almost in working condition, just needs a bit of love here and there.


The lady I bought it off turned out to be a carbon copy of myself, a dabbler in all things textile and we had a great chat. You should have heard her stories keeping angora bunnies.... She was a bit sad to part with the wheel, but knew she wouldn't be using it. And since I kept gushing about how beautiful it was, knew it was going to a loving home. I have never seen a wheel like this up close. It has a double thingy, and the thingy is adjustable for tension. God, I need to learn more new spinning wheel words...



She also gave me a pile of books, including everything from felting to rug weaving. In it is a beautiful book called The Wool Book by Margaret Dixon. It has a big picture of a Saxony wheel, and I will, over the next week, learn all the proper terms for my new restoration project.



I am really looking forward to 2010. There are so many exciting events on the horizon, and you will just have to wait until the New Year to hear about them....


Best Wishes to All, and for god's sakes take care on the roads.....

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pics
what camera do you use?

Kerryfelter said...

How exciting to have a load of new books to go through on cold nights! Freezing cold in Dingle...my radiators don't seem to be getting hot....

Actually, what kind of camera DO you use? I have to buy a new one and I was looking at a couple....

Stitchlily said...

Its a canon EOS 500D,a fantastic camera, that is completely wasted on me, because I don't know how to use it properly.

When I try photograph something specific, or get all technical, it usually comes out crap, but when I just mess around, have a bit of fun,I can get a gem. Strange...

Think what you want it for generally.I have find having an expensive camera, I'm less likely to bring it with me everywhere. My old manual Practica has seen mountains, festivals, parties,and I got some good shots with that as well...

Anonymous said...

whoah, nice camera, little out of my range tho,