Sunday, September 20, 2009

World Wide Spin in Public Day 09


A lovely day was had in The Crafty Alley in Killarney, as we took over a corner of the shop to spin for WWSIP day 09. It was spitting rain all morning, so we just settled into the corner of the shop rather than risk our precious wheels in the damp outside. We had 2 great spinners come along, Ewa from Cork, with her Louet, and Myfanwy, from South Kerry, with her Ashford traveller, and me with my old granny-style wheel... I didn't do much wheel spinning because well, the hands were a bit shaky from too much vino the night before, and sitting beside those 2 great spinners, I was a bit embarrassed. I don't know why I get embarrassed spinning in front of people, I'm a bit of a chancer, and I'm used to working in front of an audience. 3 summers crafting in Dingle does that to you. But I can't seem to use my wheel in public, my yarn comes out crap. So, I pretty much stuck to my spindle, which I'm fine with. We also have a new convert to spinning, on a DIY spindle.

There was great chat, lots of fibre-related stories, some very happy tourists, (who have pictures of spinners in Ireland, like we do this all the time), and one lady who has been searching out spinners for years and never found any before...we made her day! Thanks to the other ladies for coming such a great distance. It was lovely to meet up, and maybe we'll organise another spinning event soon...

We were thinking we could even go busking with it, throw on an ole shawl, and spin for the tourists, or charge for photos...

Big thanks to The Crafty Alley, Felicia and Cathy. I think we amused a few of your customers, and hopefully didn't disrupt too much...

See you at the knitting group on Friday so we can plan International Day of Felt!!



No comments: