Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cliona's Crocheted Bag

A good friend of mine, was getting married in Turkey over Halloween and I wanted to make her something special as a present. The plan was to make her something combining Irish and Turkish Crochet. So, she could impress the older generation of her new Turkish in-laws....

Oya, or so a type of Turkish Crochet is known, is beautiful, generally freeform with no patterns. Do a search on Flickr or Etsy, and you will see some amazing pieces of jewelery, lacing for shawls, and bags. I spent a few weeks thinking about what to make and decided on a bag. There is a tradition to pin little ribbons and mints on the brides dress, which any Irish bride would be horrified at, so I though I'd make her a little bag to put any mints in. Of course, I gave myself very little time, and had to rush it in the end. And a new type of crochet was just not possible. So I decided to stick to Irish and find a pattern. I found a pattern for a very cute Victorian Bag. Now it's supposed to be a thread holder, but I thought if I just tightened up the hole, it would be a cute bag. This is it...


Of course, me being me, the pattern thing didn't work out, I got lost by Row 11, so I decided to improvise, and just made up a bag myself. This is what I made...


I was actually quite nervous giving it to her, because I didn't want her to think she had to use it, if she found it a bit well, old fashioned, or didn't match the dress. Well, I am happy to say, I just saw the wedding photos, and she actually used it at the wedding.... Phew!!




No comments: