Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Patterns

I had said my plan for this winter was to learn how to write patterns. It's hard, especially for someone who can't read them very well. I know people who are in Ravelry tend to go on and on and on about it, but for people, new designers like me, you can't get a better resource. There is a group called The Testing Pool, where you can find people who will test your pattern for free, using their own yarn. What a resource. But I'm nervous about taking the plunge, incase I get messages back saying its all gobbledigook.... so I am also going to post messages here for test crocheters.

I had planned on trying to make a series of patterns that could be used with a variety of yarns and hooks, using remnants, etc, but it would take too long. I could spend eternity trying to write just one pattern in 20 different hook sizes. It's just I never have the right hook or the right yarn to make projects and always adapt patterns. But that's me, and it's probably why I can't follow a pattern. But if I want to do this properly, I have to go along with the whole yarn brand/gauge thing.

But, (not another but!), I have decided to try act on my principles, and use only either eco/fairtrade yarn or local yarn. Local meaning, either from Irish sheep, partially from Irish sheep, or at least processed in some way in Ireland. My apologies in advance if you can't get your hands on the particular yarn. Knowing me, there won't be that many patterns, or they won't be popular enough to warrant me feeling bad about this decision.... Support Irish Sheep...(and alpaca, llama, flax, etc....)

Anyway, enough banter, here's my latest pattern that needs testing, if anyone is interested.Don't laugh, remember I'm learning and starting small, very small....

Eco/Fairtrade Cotton Dishcloth


2 comments:

sheknitupthat said...

I think it's really pretty! :D

Stitchlily said...

thanks... I've been washing with them for the last week, and they do work well. Thought, if you eat a lot of tomato sauce, like I do I suggest making an orange one. I'm going to make it tonight....