Thursday, July 31, 2008

Irish Green Gathering

Its just been decided, I'm going to put my Ravelympic efforts on show. As I said, I'm going to the Green Gathering, but as well as enjoying myself for the weekend, I'm doing to be doing some demo's on different types of crochet.

Also, on the Sunday, Stephanie from The Yarn Room will be selling her wares. We hope to get a little woolly thing going in the afternoon, if anyone is interested.


Heres what I'm going to be doing:

I'm making a Toilet Roll Dolly, cor a competition run by the Natural dye Studio. It's a perfect way for me to show two interesting crochet techniques at once. Th body for Miss Toilet dolly 2008 will be ade using Amigurumi, and her outfit, dress, hat, etc, will be made using Hyperbolic Crochet.



Amigurumi is the Japanese art of Crocheting or Knitting small stuffed animals, or figures. It has become a bit of a craze, with patterns and books now widely available. It is a fantastic technique, quite simple, yet very expressive and highly addictive. Once you're made the first few cutsie animals, you then move on to the slightly more bizarre, ninjas, lobsters, etc. There are loads of patterns available on Etsy and DaWanda (I have a lobster on standby, I just haven't had the chance to make it yet).



Hyperbolic crochet is the geometric opposite of the sphere. On a sphere, the surface curves in on itself and is closed. A hyperbolic plane is a surface in which the space curves away from itself at every point. Like a Euclidean plane it is open and infinite, but it has a more complex and counter intuitive geometry......................................

"While fragile models of hyperbolic planes had been made by gluing together repeating paper shapes, Daina Taimina realised she could make more durable versions using crochet, by increasing the number of stitches in each row as she crocheted around a point. The crenelated balls that emerged worked perfectly, and even led to some new results, since Taimina could test out her equations by crocheting them" (New Scientist, 22 December 2001, p 38).

Blah, blah. I don't know how to explain it in layman's terms, because I don't know exactly what it is, but I can crochet it! That's all that matters. It wibbly wobbly crochet, loops and curves, and looks great.






No comments: