Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Story of Lace



I've been so busy trying to spread the word, that I completely forgot to blog about 'The Story of Lace on my own blog!! Here's the spiel...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 40th International Pan Celtic Festival will be hosted in the Gaeltacht of Corca Dhuibhne/Dingle Peninsula, Co. Kerry. This year the festival hosts a lively programme, very best of food, music, singing, dancing, and Irish Lace!

‘The Story of Lace’ is an exhibition, seminar and workshop on Irish lace making.


The Exhibition, 28th April – 30th April 2011, will consist of samples of different styles of Irish lace including Irish Crochet, Kenmare, Carrickmacross, Youghal, and more.

The Seminar takes place on Friday 29th April, and is open to all. Talks on the History of Irish Lace will be given by Máire Treanor, author of Clones Lace, and Nora Finnegan, who runs the Kenmare Lace Museum, two of Ireland’s finest lace-makers. There will be a viewing of ‘'Irish Lace' from *Hands* a series of documentaries made for RTE in the 1970s/80s, on the final years of traditional rural and urban life in Ireland. At the end of the seminar, there will be a Q&A session, where you can bring along your antique lace to be identified by Máire and Nora.

Workshops 30th April 2011
Kenmare Lace with Nora and Irish Crochet Lace with Máire are taking place on Saturday 30th April. Basic sewing and crochet skills is required for the workshop and places are limited to 12.
Cost: €40 (€20 non-refundable deposit to book your place).

Please make cheque or postal order payments to Pan Celtic Corca Dhuibhne, Ionad Forbartha Gnó, Páirc Ghnó an Daingin, An Daingean, Co. Chiarraí. Registration forms to book a place at the workshop can be downloaded from the Pan Celtic website www.panceltic.ie

--------------------------------------------------------------------
For information contact me, bookings, you can contact, well, me, and anything else to do with the event, please contact me!!! No, seriously, contact me, or email woollywayATgmailDOTdom. I'll be updating about the exhibition on The Woolly Way of Ireland blog.

I am really excited, because lately I have become obsessed with lace. (Check out my Lace Inspired collection on Pinterest!). And to have 2 of Irelands expert lace-makers teaching workshops, as well as an exhibition of antique and modern lace, in my town is just fantastic. I could spiel on about lace, its history, etc, but I think you should just come to Dingle, and find out for yourself...

Its going to be a fantastic weekend, because not only is the Pan Celtic Festival on, Feile n Bealtaine also kicks off. So Dingle will be hopping!


No comments: