Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Not going to the Knit and Stitch Show...?!?!



Every Halloween, apart from trying to organise the obvious (Halloween stuff..), its been a ritual to go to Dublin for a day or two, to the Knitting and Stitching Show in the RDS. It verges on a religious experience that brings out a lot of very deadly sins; gluttony, lust , envy, wrath, lust, (all in a yarnie sense of course). The only things it doesn't bring out is sloth! You'd be lucky to get round to seeing everything in a day...

But it is the biggest celebration of all things textile in Ireland, and apart from the excessive shopping possibilities, I usually just go for the banter. An excuse to talk yarnie stuff all day to folk who actually listen. A great day for bumping into old classmates, old teachers, and new friends (wearing Ravelry badges)...

I have decided not to go this year, because of a few reasons. Mainly, I'm just plain tired. Having been in Dublin once already this month, and the prospect of a trip to Cork in another week or two (more info on that one later!!), and also because of my Yarnaholics Programme. Its one of the steps I have come across, but can't quite get into a one sentance format to add officially onto the programme. It's about being over-awed, over-influenced, over-excited about too many possibilities. It's about settling down and actually getting some work done. I can understand why artists go off to quiet rural spots to work, and although I may be rural, Dingle, can rarely be described as quiet...

So, while I read every ones blogs, FB's, tweets, etc, about what a great time they are having (best show ever, I'm sure), I will be up to my eyes in paint, glue, halloweeny type paper, making decorations for my favourite time of the year!! I might get a bit over the top, Mexican style, but what the hay, I'm having fun...


Have a great time anyone who is going, and well, dont tell me anything about it!! (only joking..)

5 comments:

Deirdre said...

I'm not going either, mostly because I'm broke and I also have TOO MUCH YARN and I need to knit it rather than add to it.

Irene said...

Just thought I would show solidarity, as I'm not going either. I'm holding the fort in The Yarn Room...

Next year, perhaps! ;-)

sheknitupthat said...

Aw, we will miss you there! Nevermind - next year will be all the more fun for you ;D

Treasa said...

I didn't go either. Mainly because I have too much yarn, and also, too many projects and WIPs. So no point in buying more yarn until I've destashed. I sort of feel bad, and then I think, but then I didn't need to add to the stuff I want to do.

I think sometimes it's good to step back.

Stitchlily said...

I think its a good sign, people not going to the K&S. The fact that we all think we already have to much yarn and projects on the go, and are not relient on the K&S for our yearly fix. Before it was the only way to see any kind of textile art/exhibitions, now we're all over the place!