Friday, July 2, 2010

The Cassandra Hand Summer School of Lace


Just back from a whirlwind week-long trek around Ireland, taking in Mayo, Monaghan and Galway. The trip started as a torturous 6-odd hour long drive to Mayo, with a toddler that refused to sleep. So, as you can imagine lots of singing, and well, singing... And coffee stops for me.




As usual the parent’s garden was in full bloom. A colour-lovers and veggie delight, as I scoffed all the home-grown veg, and took pics of the beautiful flowers.

Then Saturday, a very early tip to historic Clones, in Co. Monaghan to attend the 20th Cassandra Hand Summer School of Lace.


As usual, Máire had managed to gather a bunch of very lovely and interesting ladies! All thrilled to be there, to be learning new techniques, and to be chatting crochet all day long... After the full day of workshop, there was a dinner break, and then it was over to the Cassandra Hand Centre for a talk by the genealogical sleuth Pat. She did an amazing amount of research on Cassandra Hand. Then my own, well, presentation on Freeform Crochet, and the Hyperbolic Crochet Exhibition. After the presentation, a few cheap (thank you recession!) pints in The Leonard Arms, and the day were made...

On Sunday, we had another day of workshop. And yes, I got very little done, because the chat was mighty, as they say. I was far too interested in talking to the other ladies to get much done. Then Sunday, back to Mayo, then a few days later (via an over-night in Kinvara).

Well, how many times can I say I met such lovely people! Really, Máire has a knack, in a very quiet, under-hand kind of way, of bringing together such lovely women from all over the place (including Portugal, USA and UK this time!), teaching us, without us realising it, and making us confident in our ability to Irish Crochet without her. She has just re-printed her book Clones, so if you don’t have it already, get in touch with her, and get one! www.cloneslace.com


Kate Daly, who travelled over from the USA, gave us all one of her necklaces at the end of the workshop. Thanks Kate, it's lovely! I also bought this lovely linen thread from Máire. Don't ask me what I'm going to do with it. Maybe a hankie or 2...



So, from historic Clones to my own personal history. I managed to bag these babies....


Crochet made by either my Gran, my Aunt. I also collected this.


A doll’s house, well castle, which my dad made me, and my brother was storing for me. I won’t say how old this castle is now, because I will be revealing my age! But, suffice to say, it’s getting on in years. Since I brought it home, my son has played and played with it. Though with horses and pirates, not dolls. And what once was a turret with an escape ladder, now houses a lift...

It’s nice to be home, and planning my next project...

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

KerryFelter said...

That workshop sounds so great! I need to start learned more advanced crochet stitches. Remind me when this one is one next year and I will try to get myself there. Off to Dublin tomorrow for a sewing workshop at NCAD, but we MUST get together soon for a natter and crochet!! XXOO

Kate Daly said...

Thanks Orla for your kind remarks. The workshop was a great opportunity to not only learn but to make new friends. I'm crocheting some of your hyperbolic shapes. What fun. Many thanks for promoting this innovative direction in crochet. Kate