Sunday, August 23, 2009

The crazy things we make and do, when there isn't really the time to make and do it.....

As if I haven't got enough on my plate with the Electric Picnic looming. I have decided to take a trip to Dublin for about 30 hours. There are 4 very valid reasons:
  1. my cousins wedding
  2. a workshop on making patterns and alterations
  3. an exhibition of Harry Clarke's illustrations for Hans Christian Anderson
  4. my little man has never been on a plane before
Numbers 1 and 4:
My cousins wedding is a very informal affair, a party in a pub, so that's easy enough, and should be good fun. I don't meet up with the 'Eastern' relations that much, and I know my little man will love it. He's a sociable little fella and will love the attention from new relatives. Not to mention the fact he is going on a plane! Yes, I know it's not very Eco of me, but it only takes an hour and it's cheaper than the train...cheaper than the train--scandalous really...

Number 2:
Anyone who knows me, knows I am a terrible shopper. I hate shopping for clothes, hate most clothes, and usually come back in tears because it's all bloody awful, and nothing fits, and the one time I am willing to spend money, and I tried on everything, and, and, and... I have always wanted to make my own clothes. But have never been brave enough. It's funny, ask me to make anything else, and I'll do it, but clothes; they scare me...So, I've booked myself into a fantastic course with re-dress, design, pattern drafting, alterations and up-cycling... all in one day, and the day I'm in Dublin.

Number 3:
Well, what can you say...Harry Clarke...Fairy Tale illustrations...I don't know how I am going to squeeze a trip to the National Gallery into my 30 odd hours but I have to. Especially when the exhibition was supposed to be over, but was extended until September. I used to visit Harry Clarkes stained-glass windows in An Díseart, in Dingle all the time. Not to mention the fact I love, no, adore, fairy tales...Yes, it's the exhibition for me...

So that's the do, what's the make...?

My son is mad about cardboard boxes, well, aren't most kids. When the nappies arrive from ecobaby, they always come in a big brown cardboard box which is just asking to be made into something. First came the robot, which has lasted over a month, and although falling apart, has had lots of fun time. Second came the boat, which did OK, but not as well as the robot. Then last week, feeling guilty for fobbing the child off onto the TV while I tried to get some work done, I said what do you want. He replied 'an aeroplane'....I shouldn't have asked. He was very specific, it had to have 2 wings, a pointed nose and a propeller that went round and round....Well, here it is in all its taped glory!!

3 comments:

Kerryfelter said...

My six year old says that you make a wicked aeroplane!! Excellent work.

Stitchlily said...

Thanks! though I dread to think what he asks for next...

minerva said...

gorgeous - you'll have Michael O'Leary on the line asking about budget plane blueprints...